This is one of my go-to dishes. It is a Spanish Dish with Saffron flavored rice with a mixture of different proteins. I use Mussels, Shrimp and Andouille Sausage in my Paella but can be substituted with other meats such as Chicken, Lobster, Clams, Ham or Chorizo. I came across this recipe in one of my Cookbooks but changed a few things to it…Enjoy!
3/4 lb Raw Shell-on Shrimp (21-25 ct.)
2 tsp Robert’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Andouille Sausage-Sliced
1 Medium Red Onion-Chopped
1 Red Bell Pepper-Chopped
1 Tbs Garlic-Minced
2 Cups Arborio Rice
1 Cup Frozen Peas
4 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
3/4 cup Dry White Wine
2 Bay Leaves
1 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
1/4 tsp Saffron Threads
1. Peel and devein shrimp but keep the shells for the broth. Toss the shrimp in a bowl with a little olive oil.
2. In a medium sauce pan over high heat bring the shrimp shells, chicken broth, white wine, bay leaves, smoked paprika, kosher salt, crushed red pepper, and saffron to a simmer. Then strain the broth of all of the shells and bay leaves. Keep this broth on low while you get everything else going.
3. Saute shrimp on medium high heat until cooked halfway through about 2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
4. Heat a little bit of olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat and add the andouille sausage and cook for 4 minutes.
5. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes until onion is translucent.
6. Stir in the rice to coat with all of the pan juices.
7. Stir in the shrimp broth and frozen peas. Cover and let sit for 15 minutes on medium heat.
8. Now rinse the mussels with cold water and make sure that all of you mussels are alive. You want to make sure that all of the mussels are closed all of the way. If you find a few that are not just tap on the counter a couple of times and if they don’t close up within 1 minutes then they are dead and you must discard.
9. Nestle the shrimp into the rice as well as the mussels with the hinge side down. Cover and cook until mussels pop open about 8-10 minutes on medium low heat.
10. Once mussels have opened then it’s good to go!